Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unknown error in log files, but email is sent
01-04-2011, 07:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 08:59 PM by mlandis.)
Unknown error in log files, but email is sent
Since a while I changed the way I send messages: I am now using an encrypted connection: TLS on port 587. I am doing this, because my ISP allows more e-mails per day through a secure connection (2500 vs 600).
When I send a bulk-mail a strange thing happens: in the test run everything is fine. The log looks good. When I actually DO send the mass mail, all seems to go well also. About 160 messages get marked in the log as "Message sent", but the rest all get the text "Unknown error". At the end of the log it states "162 messages succesfully sent". So one would think the rest is not! Strangely enough, I know of some of the "Unknown error" recipients that they DID receive the mail anyway because of their reaction to it. Now I am really confused. I don't know what to believe anymore. The log seems to be in error.
And it seems to have something to do with the new secure manner of sending messages, because I haven't seen this error before.
Do you have any idea what might be happening? I would have attached the log if this would be possible. If needed, I can put part of it in the next post.
Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2011, 08:55 PM
RE: Unknown error
Hi Fredco,

I know this is very disconcerting, but this log bug seems to show up on some mail connections, and we have never been able to reproduce the bug or track it down after many hours of searching. I know it's a pain, and my latest thought is just to scrap and rewrite the entire logging facility. But because of Mailer's multi-threaded nature, and the fact that each separate thread has to write to the same (sequential) log file, it's got to be one of the most complicated parts of Mailer.

The other users that are reporting this problem seem to manage to use Mailer anyway, but it would sure be nice to have decent log file results. Thank you for checking with the recipients to see that they did in fact receive it.

I hope that we can get this bug fixed for you this year, but I don't have a timeframe unfortunately.

Mike

(Now to figure out how to move this thread to the Mailer forum and out of the Subscriber one)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-05-2011, 06:56 AM
RE: Unknown error
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your quick reply. Maybe I can help troubleshooting the problem? For instance by sending you a log? And my settings for the secure connection?
There are a few things I have noticed trying to figure out what was happening:
- it started after changing the way I send mail: secure vs. unsecure
- three different types of log occur: one with a certain percentage of messages with "message sent" (the first) and the rest with "unknown error" (the last), last week I had a log with ALL messages ok (???) and yesterday the log marked ALL messages with "unknown error"
- the test run always goes fine as before
Can it have anything to do with my ISP?
You say it is disconcerting and you are right. Because although I know of people marked with the "unknown error" to have received the mail anyway I ALSO know of people that say they DIDN'T get my mail. So this gives me an insecure feeling about it.
So, I would like to help in any way possible. Just tell me what you want from me.
And sorry for posting in the wrong forum...

Fred.
01-18-2011, 08:48 AM
RE: Unknown error in log files, but email is sent
I think that the problem does have something to do with the mail server / ISP being used. The only thing that I have noticed that definitely fixes the problem is to set Mailer in single message mode, reducing the number of threads to 1. If you could try that as well and see - yes I know the mailing will take a bit longer - please be sure and report back if it doesn't work for you.

Mike Landis
Manager, Mach5 Development
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Yep, you're right: I recently did a bulk-email of 1.500 mails with no multi-threading. It all went well. No "unknown errors" at all. So the problem MUST be in the multi-threading. It can be an ISP thing, but it can also be a bug in the routines that drive the multi-threading process, which only becomes apparent when sending mail through a secure connection.
Do you want me to send my ISP a message about this problem?
12-20-2011, 05:42 AM
The other users that are reporting this problem seem to manage to use Mailer anyway, but it would sure be nice to have decent log file results. Thank you for checking with the recipients to see that they did in fact receive it.
12-20-2011, 05:45 AM
Well, As someone posted above there i like this because it's reallyy informative and Beneficial for me it's some like that "Can it have anything to do with my ISP?
You say it is disconcerting and you are right. Because although I know of people marked with the "unknown error" to have received the mail anyway I ALSO know of people that say they DIDN'T get my mail. So this gives me an insecure feeling about it.
So, I would like to help in any way possible. Just tell me what you want from me."
so i'd like to say thanks ...
02-24-2012, 05:42 PM
I was coming here to ask the same question.

I don't think it has to do with the ISP since I'm using M5M on a network with an in-house Exchange server and I run into the same thing. The odd part is that I don't get "Unknown Error" until after a number of messages have been sent. I don't believe that number is consistent but I've never looked into it any further than that. I try to make sure my email address is the last one on the list so I know that if I got the message, there's a good chance everyone else did (barring invalid addresses and such).
04-27-2012, 01:31 AM
(02-24-2012 05:42 PM)ddegennaro Wrote:  I was coming here to ask the same question.

I don't think it has to do with the ISP since I'm using M5M on a network with an in-house Exchange server and I run into the same thing. The odd part is that I don't get "Unknown Error" until after a number of messages have been sent. I don't believe that number is consistent but I've never looked into it any further than that. I try to make sure my email address is the last one on the list so I know that if I got the message, there's a good chance everyone else did (barring invalid addresses and such).

I also have the same problem. The log showed error, but the messages were sent. I know this because I checked the email deliveries on the log file of my email server.

Can someone let us know when could this be fixed?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Silent Log Files gcravener 2 9,992 03-21-2012 11:11 AM
Last Post: gcravener
Question log files every once in a while a 7 error code TTanner 0 3,021 10-24-2011 01:28 PM
Last Post: TTanner
Wink log files every once in a while a "7" error code TTanner 0 2,870 10-24-2011 01:21 PM
Last Post: TTanner
  Unknown Error Log Proof that Email Was Sent Lysandra 0 3,192 09-02-2011 08:32 AM
Last Post: Lysandra
  Error when sending email outside of my domain name duke3030 0 15,551 03-25-2011 06:08 PM
Last Post: duke3030